Monday, November 9, 2009

Poor Man's Beef Bourguignon

So I've mentioned I've made my poor man's version of Beef Bouguignon a couple times in my blog. I took pictures the last time I made it, so figured I'd give the recipe and show them off. Sadly, I was so hungry and excited by the time I finished I didn't take a pretty plated picture of it. I just ate it :) These portions are for two people, not a whole lot of leftovers, but enough for another 3/4 portion.

1. Cook the bacon, about 6 slices.

2. Once crispy, remove bacon and drain. Remove 1/2 the grease in pot and reserve.

3. Break up a head of garlic, put a few tablespoons of red wine in there, wrap in foil, roast at 350 degrees until smooshy (~45 min). As this is a pauper's version of this recipe I simply use driest red wine we have around. House wine here in Washington is great, it's a blend of tons of reds, and is cheap, but good. I use that..

4. Prepare beef by cutting into cubes and patting dry, season with salt and pepper. Use good tender meat, not cheap meat.

5. Cut up carrots and onions. Saute in the 1/2 portion of bacon grease left in pot until they are good and tender.

6. Remove veggies.

7. Sear meat in SMALL batches until it's got a great browned outside. I kinda suck at this, but it's the goal.

8. Put veggies and meat in same pot, take the roasted garlic out of the oven and smoosh it, adding the creamy garlic pulp to the mess. In another container, add some flour ~1/4 cup about 2 cups beef broth to cover the mess, a couple of TBS of tomato paste, some oregano, basil, thyme, and a bay leaf (removed at the end). whisk it around, add it to meat and veggies, and pour over beef and veggies. Add enough wine to cover ~1/3 to 2/3 of the bottle. Simmer for an hour or so. Ah!


9. Serve over cooked rice, or pasta, or nothing at all.


It's tasty, a little time intensive, but so rich and wonderfully UMPH-afied, it's really beautiful. And tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment